How Do I Become a Homeowner with Habitat?
Habitat for Humanity Sunshine Coast believes that home-ownership brings stability, safety and self-reliance. We partner with families who are ready for the responsibility and challenges of home-ownership, including the financial commitment. Our families complete 500 hours of volunteer work as part of their commitment to home ownership. This could include working alongside volunteers and skilled trades people to build their home or volunteering at the ReStore or offering help to one of our recycling teams. Families selected to join Habitat housing program will eventually purchase their home at fair market value. Habitat for Humanity Sunshine Coast offers an affordable mortgage payment that is never more than 30% of our family’s gross income. The mortgage model is evolving to serve the best interests of our families and the sustainability of Habitat’s housing initiative.
Do I Qualify?
In order to partner with Habitat for Humanity, a family must meet our requirements listed below:
- Be low income, as defined by Habitat for Humanity Sunshine Coast’s charitable registration with Canada Revenue Agency (Habitat for Humanity Sunshine Coast uses BC Housing’s Housing Income Limits [HILs] to define the upper limit income threshold);
- Have an annual sustainable family income;
- Are Canadian citizens or permanent residents;
- Have resided on the Sunshine Coast for the last 6 months
- Have guardianship and primary care of at least one child (under the age of 10), or a child with a disability (under the age of 18) who could not legally live alone;
- Cannot be able to qualify for a conventional mortgage; and
- Cannot currently own or have an investment in a home or property.
- A single parent family must provide written proof by way of a separation agreement or court order of each of the following:
- is divorced from or has been living separate and apart from his/her spouse/partner for the past 12 months;
- child and spousal support obligations have been determined; and
- division of family property and responsibility for family debt have been settled;
What are the Housing Income Limits?
Sunshine Coast Income (All Sources)
|Family Size||Minimum Combined Income||Maximum Combined Income|
|Four or more||$42,000.00||$59,000.00|
Is That All I Have to Do?
In a nutshell, its commitment that counts. We partner with families who share our values as demonstrated by:
- Taking the initiative to obtain an application and filling it out completely;
- Providing any requested documentation within the time frame set by HFHSC.
- Agreeing to reference and credit checks;
- Readily engaging in the home visit by the Family Selection Committee;
- Having the ability and desire to complete 500 hours of sweat equity within timelines
- Willing to live in a complex with families from a variety of ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds;
- Agreeing to act as ‘ambassadors’ of HFHSC, which includes providing a biography about their family to be shared with the public, speaking to the press, attending public events related to the build or a HFHSC activity, and agreeing to be photographed for HFHSC promotional purposes (unless there are issues of safety for any member of the family); and
- An understanding of and willingness to fulfill the expectations as set out in the Homeowner Partnership Agreement.
If you think you’re a good fit, call us and let us know! Alternatively, you can come by our ReStore and pick up an application in person.
Thank you for your interest in Habitat for Humanity Sunshine Coast!